Taurus Gun Models Reviewed – What to Expect from the Brazilian Manufacturer
Originally known as Forjas Taurus S.A. and currently branded as Taurus Armas S.A., Taurus is a manufacturing corporation established in Brazil. Founded in 1924, it originally designed sophisticated and professional tools.
With time, its actions have diversified a little. Apart from plastics and civil construction operations, Taurus also has a firearm division known as Taurus Armas. In terms of defense, the company also produces body armors and helmets.
The first revolver was made in 1941. Just over a decade later, Taurus started exporting firearms to the USA. In 2021, nearly four out of five firearms were exported to the USA. In fact, during the same year, it’s estimated that over 60% of all revolvers sold in the USA came from Taurus.
Given the opening to the American market, many Taurus gun models are now produced in Bainbridge, Georgia.
Small frame revolvers
- Model 327 uses the .327 Federal Magnum caliber, yet the revolver can also be used with .32 S&W and .32 H&R calibers. It can be double or single action.
- Model 431 features a steel frame and has a capacity of five rounds. Its chambered for the .44 Spec caliber and comes with a fixed sight.
- Model 405 can also hold five rounds. It has a stainless steel construction, so it’s light and durable. It works with the .40 caliber and has a few variants.
- Model 445 is a double action revolver that comes in a few different variants. Sights are fixed. The revolver is known for its concealable profile.
- Model 605 is chambered for the .357 Magnum caliber. It’s in production since 1995. Some of the variants come with an exposed hammer.
- Model 606 is one of the popular Taurus 357 models, at least in the USA. It features a DA/SA trigger action and will hold six rounds.
- CIA stands for Carry It Anywhere. It’s a small revolver that comes as a series, with Model 650 and Model 850 in the collection. It’s very similar to Smith & Wesson Centennial.
- Protector is similar and comprises two different units, Model 651 and Model 851. Like the CIA series, it’s based on a Smith & Wesson model, the Bodyguard.
- Model 85 has a small frame and represents one of the most popular pistols for personal protection in the USA. It has more variants, with Model 856 being the main one.
- Model 731 works with the .32 H&R Magnum caliber. It has fixed sights, and it's been in continuous production since 1995.
- Model 73 boosts the .32 S&W Long caliber, and like other Taurus revolver models, it comes with a DA/SA mechanism. It holds six rounds.
- Model 905 stands out among Taurus 9mm pistol models. It’s the only 9mm unit in the small frame collection and comes with the proprietary stellar clips for super simple reloading.
- Model 94 uses the .22 LR caliber. It has a DA/SA mechanism and a barrel length of four inches. It can hold nine rounds.
- Model 941 is similar to Smith & Wesson’s Model 63. It comes with the same J frame and works with the .22 WMR caliber. It’s also available in a few variants.
- Model 942 is an 8-shot revolver available in both .22 LR and .22 WMR calibers. It is a lightweight and reliable handgun for concealed carry.
Compact frame revolvers
From all the Taurus revolver models out there, the Brazilian manufacturer has only designed two models with a compact frame.
Model 617 is one of the popular Taurus .38 Special models, yet it also works with the .357 Magnum caliber. It’s mainly based on stainless steel, yet Taurus has also designed a variant based on titanium. The titanium version has been discontinued, though.
Model 817 belongs to the same small family of compact frame revolvers. It has a DA/SA mechanism and is chambered for the .38 Spl caliber. Given its compact appearance and reliability, it’s excellent for concealed carry.
Medium frame revolvers
Taurus hasn’t focused too much on medium frame revolvers either. However, this family includes four different models.
- Model 82 is a six shot revolver available in a few different variants. It relies on the .38 Special caliber and gained notoriety for its convenience and reliability.
- Model 80 relies on the same caliber. It’s one of the longest revolvers in production, made between 1968 and 2001. It’s similar to Smith & Wesson Model 10.
- Model 65 is a versatile unit compatible with .357 Mag and .38 Special calibers. It’s excellent for self defense. Model 66 is considered one of its variants, despite being marketed independently.
- Model 689 features six rounds and is chambered for the .357 Magnum caliber. It’s a double action medium frame revolver made between 1988 and 1998. Model 689 is often considered a large frame revolver as well due to being larger than other alternatives in the series.
Large frame revolvers
Large frame revolvers from Taurus were quite popular, especially in the USA, with many of them still available these days.
- Model 607 has a DA/SA mechanism and is chambered in the .357 Magnum caliber. Despite its size, some put it in the compact category because it’s easy to conceal.
- Model 608 was produced in 1996 and came as a solid alternative for Smith & Wesson Model 686 Plus. It has more variants, such as 608SS4, 608SS6, and 608SS8. It's chambered for .357 Magnum.
- Model 692 is one of the most versatile large frame revolvers from Taurus. It has a five round capacity and gained notoriety for its smooth trigger.
- Model 44 brings in six rounds in the 44 Magnum caliber. It feels rugged, but it has a clean and smooth operation.
Series of firearms
Taurus has designed a few firearms in series or families, with Taurus Judge models being the most popular ones.
- Judge is also known as Model 4510. The revolver works with .45 Colt cartridges, as well as .410 bore shot shells. It's been in production since 2006 and has a few variants, such as 4410 or 513.
- Raging Bull has a self-explanatory name. The powerful .454 Casull cartridge can be used to hunt massive animals too. It has more than a dozen variants in various calibers, many of them discontinued.
- Tracker represents another family of Taurus revolvers, also available in more cartridges. Some of the leading variants include 17, 425, 41, 44, 627, 962, 970, 990, 991 and 992. Some of them have been marketed independently.
Amadeo Rossi SA is a different Brazilian firearm manufacturer. The revolver and handgun line has been purchased by Taurus, so Rossi is currently focused on rifles and shotguns. Taurus developed quite a few different models under this name.
- Model 971 is available in two different calibers, .38 Special and .357 Magnum. It has a capacity of six rounds.
- R46102 is a double action unit available in .357 Magnum and .38 Special calibers. It only weighs 26 ounces.
- R35102 comes in the .38 Special caliber. Compared to other Rossi models, it didn’t gain the expected popularity.
- R85104 is available in the same caliber and has a six round capacity. It’s comfortable to use and reliable, especially with its rubber grips.
- R46202 is chambered for .357 Magnum cartridges. Like other Rossi handguns, it has an ergonomic and comfortable design.
- R35202 is one of the most dependable units in the .38 Special caliber and has a capacity of five rounds only.
- R97206 has a double action mechanism and a loading capacity of six rounds. It has a solid and beautiful stainless steel design.
- Circuit Judge is an 18.5 inch carbine. It can also be considered part of the Judge family of revolvers. It’s one of the Taurus 45 caliber models, but it also works with the .410 bore caliber.
Taurus has developed an impressive range of semi-automatic pistols, with many of them dominating their competition in terms of popularity.
- Millennium is a series of semi-automatic pistols consisting of more models or variants, 111, 140, 145, and 745. Calibers include .32 ACP, .380 ACP, 9mm Parabellum, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.
- PT22 comes with a solid 8+1 capacity magazine. It’s chambered for .22 LR and sometimes considered a copy of Beretta 21 Bobcat, despite some major differences.
- PT25 is practically part of the PT22 Taurus gun models. The only difference is in the caliber, as it runs with .25 ACP.
- PT 24/7 is one of the Taurus 40 cal pistol models, but it can also be chambered for 9x19mm Parabellum and .45 ACP.
- TCP 732 is available with the .32 ACP caliber. It’s a double action semi-automatic pistol with an impressive trigger and excellent control.
- TCP 738 is among the most popular Taurus 380 models. It’s only available with a double action mechanism and features a compact appearance.
- PT92 is available in four calibers, but it’s most commonly found in the 9x19mm Parabellum one. It’s been in production since 1983, but it’s made in a Beretta factory. Model 100 is part of the same series.
- PT1911 is a replica of a different pistol used by military forces in the USA. It’s chambered for 9x19mm Parabellum and .45 ACP cartridges.
- Model PT809 is one of the most successful Taurus gun models. It’s more successful in the USA than in Europe. There are more models that can be considered its variants, such as Model PT809c, Model 840, and Model 845. There are slight differences between them.
- Slim Series comprises two models. They’re similar in features and design, but Model 709 relies on the 9x19mm Parabellum cartridge, while Model 740 is chambered for .40 S&W.
- PT-2045 is one of the smallest and lightest pistols from Taurus. It’s most commonly sold to civilians for personal defense.
- TS9 weighs less than 30 ounces and comes with an adjustable three point system for the sights. It’s known for its durability and reliability.
- PT911 is chambered for 9x19mm Parabellum. Its capacity varies. Some people prefer the 10 round capacity, others choose the 15 round capacity.
- PT 909 has a few different finishes, but you’ll most likely find it with a blue hue. It has an alloy frame enhanced with steel.
- PT 945 is a large pistol that borrows the upgraded SIG type Colt-Browning locking system. It’s chambered for the .45 ACP cartridge.
- PT 908 has a few variants and a beautiful shiny finish. It has an eight round capacity and relies on the 9mm cartridge.
- PT 51 is very similar to Beretta 950 B Jetfire. It’s a simple pistol boosting the 6.35mm caliber and impressing with its lack of fancy features.
- PT 915 boosts the 9x19mm Parabellum cartridge and comes with double or single action. It's made of stainless steel, alloy, and plastic.
- PT 917 is similar to Beretta models, and despite being considered a compact unit, it's larger than average. It’s a 9x19mm Parabellum unit.
- PT 938 comes with textured rubber grips, ambidextrous safety, and three dot combat sights. It comes in the .380 Auto caliber.
- PT 940 is a medium frame pistol using the .40 S&W caliber. It’s often considered to be part of the 92 series.
- PT 838 is a compact unit using the .380 ACP caliber and featuring a 15+1 magazine. While marketed independently, PT 838c is considered a variant with a few differences.
- Curve stands out with its unusual shape. It’s a pocket gun boosting the .380 ACP caliber and weighing less than 14 ounces. It’s known for its quick reloading features.
- Spectrum is chambered in the same cartridge. Designed as a subcompact pistol, it’s mainly recommended for self defense.
- G2C is built to deliver. It’s part of the G2 family, which also includes G2S, G3, G3C, G3X, G3XL and G3 Tactical. It's rugged, comfortable to use, and reliable.
- TX22 uses the .22 LR cartridge, and it's considered the most advanced rimfire pistol in this caliber out there. Its accuracy stands out in the crowd.
- GX4 is the first micro-compact pistol designed by Taurus. Despite its size, the 9mm pistol delivers great performance.
Taurus hasn’t given much credit to the submachine market. With an obvious focus on pistols and revolvers, the Brazilian manufacturer has only introduced one submachine gun.
SMT is a family of guns brought in 2011. Different variants use different calibers, but they all rely on 9x19mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.
Some variants are exclusively made for military forces and law enforcement agents. They're quite common in Brazil, Bangladesh, Chile, and Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Similar to submachine guns, shotguns failed to find a place in Taurus’ portfolio. However, the firearm manufacturer has designed one solid model.
ST12 has gained notoriety as one of the most reliable shotguns on the market, whether used in official police operations or by civilians with self defense purposes.
Given its pump design, the shotgun offers fast firing capabilities and excellent firepower. It's based on carbon steel, aluminum alloy, and polymer.
ST12 uses the 12GA caliber and has a 7+1 capacity.
Taurus has introduced a single grenade launcher, and it's mainly used by police forces and law enforcement officials in Brazil.
LT38SA uses the 37x38mm caliber, and it’s mainly used in Brazil, yet a few other countries have also implemented it.
Over the past years, the Taurus gun models list has been enhanced with not more than four different rifles.
- ART556 is a relatively new assault rifle, and like the name clearly states it, it relies on the 5.56x45mm NATO cartridge. It seems to borrow a few features from Bushmaster ACR and FN SCAR.
- CT G2 is often considered a variant of the SMT submachine gun. It’s definitely part of the same family. The semi-automatic unit is a pistol caliber carbine.
- T4 is an M4 clone. It uses the 5.56x45mm NATO cartridge, and it's in use by military forces in Brazil, Senegal, the USA, and Philippines.
- T4SA is an AR-15 rifle using the same cartridge. It can also be used with .223 Rem ammo. It’s known for the Melonite treatment for various parts, meaning it’s incredibly durable.
A voluntary recall was issued by Taurus in 2015. The recall affects around a million pistols produced between 1997 and 2013 due to a small defect. Pistols affected by the recall include:
- Pistols in the Millennium range, like PT-111, PT-132, PT-138, PT-140, PT-145 and PT-745
As a short final conclusion, it’s easy to tell what makes Taurus one of the most appreciated firearm manufacturers in Brazil and not only. Its wide range of firearms can bring in different models for all kinds of necessities, from personal defense and target shooting to military uses.
There are lots of Taurus gun models out there to choose from, yet again, most of the production is aimed at the American market.